First Post and it's about my Engagement!
Hi Guys,
J asked me to marry him last month and I've decided to document our wedding planning adventure! We went a little backwards on getting engaged... I knew it was coming.
Should you pick your own engagement ring? A list of pros and cons convincing myself:
Pros
- I get to choose my ring and like it too
- I'll be involved in the whole process, from materials to diamond
- It will be an added experience of what me and J do together (Like an added list of new experiences)
- We already discussed getting married and what my answer would be. What would be the difference really of him choosing or me choosing?
- When he decides to ask, I can give 100% attention to what he says. My eyes will look into his eyes dreamily and not glaring into some box thinking, will it be ugly?
- I won't be surprised about the ring but his proposal will still surprise me!
Cons
- Is it weird for a girl to come along to choose a ring?
- If he chooses the ring would it mean more than me choosing it? Even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted... would the fact of him doing the research, finding out what I like and talking to jewelers mean more to me? It's not just a ring but something that represents his undying love and blah blah blah right?
Well, I went with getting my own ring haha. I mean we did.
The Process
The first thing we did was get an idea of what rings I liked. I already had a dream ring (a screenprint of a ring I saved years ago back when I was 17.)
See below:
We decided to head to Yorkdale Mall and try on other different styles just in case I decided that I liked them a whole lot better. We checked out Peoples, Mappin's, the Diamond Company and Michael Hill.
Funny story - one of the Micheal Hill sales guys tried small talking us and asked us how long we were dating and my brain decided to blurt out 4 months. J interjected with "NO! 4 YEARS! YEARS!" Shows a little bit of our relationship dynamic don't you think?
For some reason, none of the chain stores had the ring I liked and just promised that they could customize it.
I never really liked chain stores, I always felt like you weren't really buying for the quality but the store overhead, their marketing expenses, the brand name and the forever smiling sales people working on commission. Plus, I always wanted a ring that was made just for me.
We opted to customize a ring at a local store and by that time... I changed the style a little slightly. My finger size is 4.5 and I felt like that diamonds would look a little big so I went for this style: Perfect Round 2 Tone Diamond Ring 1.5ct but I wanted all platinum!
I was really lucky that J already had a diamond - a 2.29ct family heirloom.
The first consultation, I was so excited... that I got super quiet and barely said a few words. I let J handle it and whew - we dropped off the diamond and went on our way.
3 weeks later and we picked it up. :D
2 months later, J proposed and we lived happily ever after (well before the upcoming stress-filled wedding planning).
2 months later, J proposed and we lived happily ever after (well before the upcoming stress-filled wedding planning).
P.S. That white fur you see? It's actually my dog's fur.
- L




Comments
Post a Comment